Thursday, August 11, 2011

Quick Chicken & Rice

This right here, is my signature dish (well according to my kids) so I had to share this when I happened to make it today for lunch.

There are many ways to cook this and I've tried about each one. I learned this from my mother, and with each time I made it, I had figured out a way to make it quick and easy.

Today, my husband was due home any minute and I couldn't figure out what there was to make that would be ready by the time he got home. When I figured out what I could make, all I had to really worry about was if the chicken would be ready in time.

I'm pretty sure I'm breaking all sorts of cooking rules with this, but it works!

INGREDIENTS
1lb of chicken breast
1/2 small onion
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of cream of chicken soup
1 cup of water
salt/pepper to taste



Like I said, this was a spur of the moment meal so I didn't have time to cook the chicken. So I took 4 frozen pieces of chicken breast and boiled them in a pot of water on high til cooked. While that's boiling, cut up half of a small onion.



After the chicken is cooked, drain the water leaving very little in the pan and add the onions. As the onions cook, take a pair of tongs and have at it on the chicken, shredding it. Like I said before, this is the quick and easy way. You can take the chicken out and cut it up if you want. Cook chicken and onions until the onions are clear.



Once the mixture is ready, add the 2 soups and water. I usually use half and half on water & milk but my kids had devoured the milk so just water works the same. After mixing everything let cook on medium until the soup thins out. Stirring occasionally so that it doesn't stick/burn on the bottom.



After the soup thins out, you may want to add a bit more water and then add some instant rice. You can cook it separately but I've gotten pretty much the idea of how much to put in .. you just eye ball it. Remove from heat, cover the pot and give about 5-10 minutes for the rice to soften and you're good to go.


My kids love it, works everytime for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Images by Freepik