Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Earth Day!

I'm not real big into nature and all that jazz. I only say this because when you're from Houston it goes from "winter" straight to summer and so we don't get the chance to experience spring. Going outside to enjoy ANYTHING is impossible without having a heat stroke or getting bit by mosquitoes.

Well today, I decided to do a little something special for Earth Day. My kids have been counting down the days and constantly reminding me the day will be approaching. So I figured, why not? If I could have found my keys in a timely manner, the day would have been awesome. I was ready to leave about 9:30/10:00 and the weather outside was GREAT! About 65 degrees and a breeze, buuut we didn't head out 'til noon.

So everyday I pass by this place with a sign that says "Nature Center". I never think anything of it, but knew it'd be a great place to take the kids today. Basically all it is is a pathway, that probably equals out to a mile, where you can walk and enjoy the trees, some flowers and such. I personally would have liked it more had the trail been more manicured and maybe even a garden or something, but the kids loved it.



After walking for a bit, we came up to this sign that said "Bird Blind". Blind? What?

"Viewing blinds provide the chance to observe different species of birds without disturbing them."

So we go off the path into a more beaten up walkway and then come up to a board with holes. I have never seen such a thing. It was just a way to hide yourself and see everything. Had there been birds, I think that would have been a sight!



After a few more bird blinds, we decided to take the "Loop Path". Bad.Idea. This was a path OUTSIDE the wooded area. Another beaten up walk way that seemed to last forever. Friday, we got a full day of rain, so along this path there were still some puddles and such. You can add the mosquitoes now. Outside of the shade and with the tall grass and puddles it was just so muggy. See this is why I don't like nature. But we did see a bee on a flower and the kids gushed how that the bee was gathering its nectar. And then they saw random berry like things and the middle of the three had to let everyone know that it was "poisonous".



All in all, besides my Debbie Downer "It's too hot, why am I walking?" the kids had a great time .. ENJOYING NATURE!

Even this little one. :)



5 comments:

  1. There's another nature park in Houston... Bayou Armand nature preserve or something like that. It is supposed to be really nice. If your kids are into that kind of thing you might want to check it out before it is sweltering out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went to Bay Area Park (not to far from there) a couple of years ago, at Mother's Day, and I always thought THAT was Armand Bayou haha! Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. Jacob's hair... again... UGH! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looked like a fun way to spend Earth Day. It is great that your kids were so excited about it. It is fun to see the world through their eyes. Thanks for linking to Multiples Monday on Capri + 3. Have a great week.

    : 0 ) Theresa

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik