Sunday, May 27, 2012

End of the Year!

This past Friday I was able to go and join in on the fun of the end of school year activities. I have never really been able to do these things in the past due to work or things of the such. The kids are finishing up 2nd grade and this year they had a day packed of all kinds of fun.

First was a book signing! All of the children in the 2nd grade became published writers. They were able to write a story on how they have shown a random act of kindness to someone (or on about half the stories how someone has shown a random of act of kindness to them). The kids were able to sit with their classmates as the parents went around and had the kids sign next to their story. We were encouraged to get all the kids from our child's class and then if we wanted, linger on to the other children. Well as expected, I had 3 classes to go to so I seriously got about 60% of the 2nd grade class' signatures. :)


May I have your autograph?


Then right after they had an awards ceremony. Now in the kids' previous school they had an awards ceremony every 9 weeks. It included awards in all sorts of different categories. A couple of weeks ago, I got an email from 2 out of 3 teachers stating the kids won an award and they would have a ceremony. I went and all they were awarding was for fairness.



I found it odd, but just shrugged it off. Apparently they saved the big award ceremony for the end of the school year. They had all the kids sit on the stage and as they called on which kid won, they would stand and once the category ended we'd all clap and they'd sit. It was interesting, and I was glad all three got an award! It would have been heartbreaking had someone missed out. One of the awards was for perfect attendance!! I was shocked because I was for certain everyone had missed a day. I guess my girl beat out the boys and was healthy all year round!



The day just kept going. After all of that it was time for a picnic!! Hot dogs, chips & cookies. What a way to end the school year, and kick start the holiday weekend.



The kids were stoked about it all, had I brought Baby J, that would have been icing on the cake for them. But I couldn't pass up the fact that he was sound asleep and that would have left me hands free for the couple of hours I was there.

So the end of the school year is here and I now have three third graders! ... WOW!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen.

    I like the idea of the kids writing books about random acts of kindness. It encourages them to think about doing nice things for others. Thank you for linking to Multiples Monday on Capri + 3.

    : 0 ) Theresa

    ReplyDelete

 
Images by Freepik